Hydraulic disc brakes are coming to Shimano’s mechanical road shifting systems, the company announced on Monday.
Dubbed ST-RS685, Shimano's new Shifter and Hydraulic Brake Lever combo is compatible with all of Shimano’s 11-speed mechanical groups, and is paired with a RS785 hydraulic disc caliper.
RS685's shifters exist outside Shimano’s branded groupsets — Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, etc. — but integrate perfectly with them, and feature subdued graphics and design intended to fit in well with any of Shimano’s road groups.
The system retains the hydraulic disc brake technologies introduced with the R785 last year, including the use of ICE tech pads to improve cooling, and 10mm of brake lever reach adjust to help dial in fit.
- Efficient braking in all conditions
- Front or rear wheel use for International Standard or Post mount with adapters (not included)
- Oversized 22mm ceramic pistons optimized for heat insulation, lightweight and stiffness
- Opposed 2-piston increases braking control and the design reduces leading effect and optimal pad wear
- Increased pad to rotor clearance reduces the chance of rotor drag
- Forged caliper design is lightweight and rigid
- One way internal fluid circuit makes bleeding easy
- Mineral oil brake fluid is non-corrosive and less hazardous than conventional hydraulic brake fluid
- Shim-less mounting bracket allows for quick installation and setting up
- Recommended for use with Ice Tech Center-Lock SM-RT99 rotors for optimum braking performance
- Comes complete with resin compound F01A aluminium pad further improves heat dissipation reducing brake surface temperature by 50 deg C
Hoses are not shipped attached or bleed for ease of installation in an internal routing application. Mineral oil and all the bits (olives, etc) are included for installation. It is recommend that you use a Shimano bleed kit for installation.